From the St. Francis of Assisi JPIC Committee
(Mike, Marion, Maureen, Charlie & Garry) April, 2017
Suggestions for Addressing some of the
Underlying Causes of Social Issues
CHARITY responses alleviate some symptoms of a social issue.
JUSTICE responses address the underlying causes of the issue.
During the March, 2017 fraternity meeting, members submitted written suggestions for building community awareness and educating people on the problems of poverty, lack of nutrition, illiteracy, unemployment and underemployment. (Suggestions which were very similar have been consolidated.)
- We can build community awareness of many of these issues by first educating ourselves by reading, studying and by attending meetings like those of the Poverty Eradication Committee. If we make our fraternity aware of similar meetings, more of our members would try to attend.
- In dealing with poverty in particular, we begin by first acknowledging our own poverty and then focus on sharing what we have with others and allowing others to share with us.
- By the “Power of One”, you start acting. For example, speak up when someone suggests that people bring the problem upon themselves and that the problem would be corrected if people made better choices. All injustice is a form of poverty.
- Write to your MLA’s and MP’s or arrange for a meeting with the appropriate ministers.
- Invite speakers on these issues to our fraternity meetings.
- Work within our parish to educate parishioners on these issues.
- Lobby the press to cover these issues.
- Have our schools include the teaching of life skills such as knowledge of nutrition, money budgeting, etc..
- Use the materials produced by Development & Peace.
Also see the latest JPIC meeting minutes >>>>>>